CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE REFUSES AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP!!!

CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE REFUSES AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP!!!

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie reasons for refusing American citizenship is really funny and exciting too.In her relations with the AFRICAN REPORT- about pop culture, feminism and colonialism,she  told them why she has been taking her time. Saying:


       " For a long time I didn't want to become a US citizen because, I believed that part of the experiences of being Nigerian is experiencing the humiliations of travelling on a Nigerian passport"

However,the award winning Nigerian Author's mind is gradually changing because  she shares that her father was kidnapped in 2014 and it was the American Embassy in Lagos and not the Nigerian Government who helped her family and even sent a therapist to her father after he was released. She says she plans to be, a US citizen at some point though, but she's still delaying it.


She also shared her thoughts on being an ambassador for her herself and not Nigeria.


" I am proud to be Nigerian (an Igbo and African), there are things I don't like about Nigeria but all the same I am very proud of my Nigerian identity,I was born  and raised in Nigeria and lived there until I was 19 years old, I won't be Who I am today if I wasn't any of those things. So,it's very important to me".

She said;

Please leave a comment,

Comments